How does integration really work in the various areas of life? Around 97,000 foreigners are currently living in Bremen, Germany. Each number stands for a person who has come from somewhere else around the world, arriving with their own different reasons to Bremen. Every day they face the challenges that await them on the way to a new life. We collected eight biographies in interactive video, audio and picture format and published their stories on a storytelling platform.
The user is welcomed with statistics about every district and a large background video tour through Bremen.
The project Tür an Tür contains eight stories in interactive video, audio and picture format.
The platform uses different media elements. Each story is designed along the content, each is unique.
The UX/UI stays in the background as much as needed. The platform is made with touch devices in mind and fully responsive.
The content can be experienced linear, but the user is free to find their own way through each story.
The project was exhibited on various occasions in 2016 and 2017. Here you can see the project on a touch table in Bremen.
Case study: Behind the scenes
It was important to be involved in the production to fully understand the content.
Imke and I met after we both volunteered for different refugee projects. When we met, I was already working on a the platform "Refugees in Europe", a self-initiated research tool aimed for journalists. The tool fetches data from United Nations about involved countries and main routes. The information is displayed on top of a map application. Each entity is connected to Google News and display curated results from their API. Find more on Github
The research tool contextualizes relevant data and news about involved countries and main routes.
I led the digital conception and technical infrastructure. The interdisciplinary work with a talented film maker was a great experience. It was important for us to center the content as much as possible. Through early prototypes I was able to test different content formats in various conditions and interface versions. I built the technical infrastructure from ground up with a focus on responsiveness.
One of the first versions: The profile bubbles were replaced by a full overview in the final version.
A lot of preparation was needed to make the platform possible: We met with each person for a detailed and trust-building preliminary to develop the episode. This allowed us to determine which content elements needed to be included for the episode and how the chapters should be arranged. Eventually the actual content (interviews, photos, video and audio recordings) were created.